Re: URLs in HTML5

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Re: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/09/23-minutes#item08
>
> HTML5 does define what a valid URL is versus how it should be parsed by
> user agents. Also, a valid URL is either a "valid" URI reference or
> "valid" IRI reference. Specifically, valid URL does not allow more
> productions than RFC3986 and RFC3987 do.
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/infrastructure.html#valid-url
> has the details.

Weird. The spec says "The term "URL" in this specification is used in a
manner distinct from the precise technical meaning it is given in RFC
3986. Readers familiar with that RFC will find it easier to read this
specification if they pretend the term "URL" as used herein is really
called something else altogether."

That really is *very* confusing, and needlessly conflicting. URLs are
already well-defined in RFC 3986. Can we please define a new term for
what the HTML 5 spec is describing and use URL in the sense
authoritatively defined by RFC 3986?

Perhaps "embedded URL" (EURL or ERL) might make sense? or URL holder? I
don't have a really good suggestion, but I can't help but see this
redefinition as confusing.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA