Re: Treatment of RDFa in TAG Finding on Self-describing Web and feed back on RDFa in XHTML1.1

Dean Edridge wrote:
> Since Steven Pemberton is the HTML Activity Lead, surely he must have
> read the HTML5 spec and known that the XHTML variant of HTML5 was
> identified by the mime type and namespace and not by any doctype. There
> needs to be some sort of identification so that any (X)HTML5 documents
> are not confused with XHTML1.x documents. Up until now it's been fine
> since all XHTML1.x specs have used a doctype, now that it's been noticed
> that the XHTML variant of HTML5 doesn't use a doctype, another WG
> decides to copy that idea and create problems.

I *strongly* disagree with this opinion. If the only method to
"understand" the meaning of an HTML (or XML) tag is to check the doc
type, we are in deep trouble. Many tools never will see the doc type
(such as XSLT), and the association will be broken as soon as document
fragments are copied into other documents.

BR, Julian