Re: Passwords in the clear update

I like where Jonathan is going on this, but I think that we aren't going to
come up with enough caveats/explanation that will satisfy those that want a
"MUST NOT transmit passwords in the clear".  We can try the explaining route
without the SHOULD NOT or MUST NOT..

My attempt:

"Good practice: Clear text passwords are a serious security risk. Transmit
passwords in the clear only in interactions that do not need to be secure
and do not lead to the new vulnerabilities in other interactions."

A vulnerability may be created with clear-text passwords if the same
password in the clear text interaction is re-used in in other interactions.
Users and administrators should take appropriate steps, such as warnings, to
mitigate such a vulnerability if clear text passwords are used.

Cheers,
Dave