RE: "the main thing described by this document" (was lcsh.info RDFa SKOS and content negotiation - use of RDF-style # IDs in RDFa?

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 18:56:19 +0000
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
CC: RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>

> Steven Pemberton wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> > I absolutely support an easy way to say "the main thing described by
> > this document", a) since it is such an important and
> > frequent use case,
> > b) authoring it should be easy, and c) I understood at a
> > talk at XTech
> > that a lot of people are already doing this wrong.

This could be done using http://thing-described-by.org if I changed the delegation of authority the redirect rule at thing-described-by.org to treat an empty query string as a relative URI meaning "this document".   That site is a 303-redirect server that is used to mint URIs of things that are described by documents.   Basically, for any absolute document URI u, the URI

refers to the thing described by document u.  At present u is restricted to be an absolute URI, but I could easily change this restriction to permit an empty relative URI to be treated as referring to "this document".  This would allow a document such as dans-car.html to use

to refer to the thing described by dans-car.html -- presumably Dan's car.  Or if that URI looks too long then http://t-d-b.org? could do the same thing.

As explained at
there isn't any need to use urn:tdb: URIs for this -- http: URIs can do the same thing, but better.

Of course, this approach doesn't have a standards body behind it, but a standards body certainly could adopt this approach, and it illustrates the fact that it is unnecessary to create a new URN scheme or sub-scheme to accomplish this.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com

Statements made herein represent the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of HP unless explicitly so stated.