Re: lcsh.info RDFa SKOS and content negotiation - use of RDF-style # IDs in RDFa?

Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:
> Hello Dan,

curl -H 'accept: application/rdf+xml' http://lcsh.info/sh85112589
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rdf:RDF
    xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
    xmlns:skos="http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#"

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://lcsh.info/sh85112589#concept">
     <skos:broader rdf:resource="http://lcsh.info/sh85062913#concept"/>
     <skos:inScheme rdf:resource="http://lcsh.info/"/>
     <dcterms:modified
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#dateTime">1986-02-11T00:00:00</dcterms:modified>
     <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Concept"/>
     <skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">Humanities and religion</skos:altLabel>
     <dcterms:created
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#date">1986-02-11</dcterms:created>
     <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Religion and the
humanities</skos:prefLabel>
   </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

Not sure what's up with wget, but curl seems to proke an rdf/xml
response just fine. Other flavours are available, per http://lcsh.info/
"The server uses content negotiation to determine what representation of
the concept to send: application/rdf+xml, text/n3, application/json, and
otherwise application/xhtml+xml."

Am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do with wget?

(re content-location headers -- quite possibly there are issues with
those, I've not looked at them closely, but it does seem to send
above)

>>> The XHTML+RDFa representation returned here does not
>> *define* a target for the #concept fragment identifier - were
>> the an id="concept" on the div there would be an
>> inconsistency. The representation conveys assertions *about*
>> http://lcsh.info/sh85112589#concept, wisely IMO avoiding the
>> about="#concept" form which would take us into same document
>> reference territory.
>>> Certainly there's a little squinting going on here - but I
>> think that unless one is actually making assertions about
>> 'fragments' of the document, then its ok as long as the
>> references *do not* resolve to a hypertext anchor in the
>> document [aside: I'd also avoid naming things with names that
>> look like xpointer expressions too :-)].
>>
>> I think you've found the best way of wriggling through this mess of
>> specs :) It doesn't feel entirely graceful but it should at
>> least allow
>> us to deploy RDF/XML and RDFa alongside each other in this style.
>>
>>> I think that the relevant media-type registrations could
>> (and probably should) be brought into line.
>>
>> That would be nice. Is it feasible?
>
> I would have thought it possible. Lurking somewhere in the background once upon a time was an intention to update RFC 3023 (the XML media-type registration) which I'm trying to find out status on. Coordinating updates to that and to any +xml media type registrations that build on its defaults would be essential I would have thought. Updating the application/xhtml+xml media type registration seems to me to fall within the scope of the XHTML2 WG and... (taking a deep breath)... the relationship between XHTML (of any flavor) and the text/html media type is entirely mysterious to me (eg. XHTML+RDFa served up as "text/html"... could/should that happen?).
>
>> I was wondering whether we might also sneak in a common symbol
>> '#123412341234' (or something else obscure) meaning "the main thing
>> described by this document", so that this common case could proceed
>> without risk of unintended clashes (except by those who use that
>> hard-to-guess symbol).
>
> I have a horrible feeling that that's a serious suggestion!

Uglier things have gotten through ;)

> I'd prefer tdb:2008:http://lcsh.info/sh85112589 (modulo syntax), with Larry Masinter's tdb: scheme taken through the URI scheme registration process, which is only a stones throw away from Steven's pto: idea. And... lest I forget, http://t-d-b.org/?http://lcsh.info/sh85112589 would also do the trick (modulo being temporally grounded).

Yeah, I like tdb: ...

cheers,

Dan

--