Re: An HTML language specification

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, John Kemp wrote:

> Are you saying that if I were to parse an HTML 5 document and find the
> element
>
> <video src="">
> </video>
>
> that the only possible meaningful representation of it is as an
> HTMLVideoElement?

That depends on your conformance class. If you're a scripting-aware
interactive user agent, then the only conforming representation of it is
as an HTMLVideoElement that then proceeds to generate network traffic and
attempt to render a video.

For other conformance classes, e.g. an authoring tool, a data mining tool,
a search engine, etc, the requirements differ.

> If not, shouldn't Mike's document be free of DOM-specific implementation
> requirements (which is not to say that they shouldn't exist - in order
> to properly define the HTMLMediaElement API)?

I don't have an opinion on what Mike's document should or shouldn't say on
the matter, I'm talking about what the HTML5 spec should say if it is to
separate semantic definitions and implementation requirements of elements
and content attributes from implementation requirements for DOM
interfaces, as it seems you suggested [1]. If that wasn't your intent,
then my apologies.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Nov/0375.html