Re: Comments on HTML WG face to face meetings in France Oct 08

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> The document producer has the right (and in fact, the responsibility) to
> uniquely specify what their document means.  What the consumer does with
> that is up to the consumer.

Clearly we simply disagree on this. I do not believe there is some
inherent meaning in the document that exists independently of its text.
The producer has no more (or less) right to infer meaning from the
document than the consumer does.

> Given document producers that shirk said responsibility (most of them),
> it falls to consumers to have a way to uniquely determine meaning given
> the input.

It always falls to consumers to do this.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA