RE: [widgets] Widgets URI scheme

From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) <skw@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:12:44 +0000
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Hello Norm,

I'm sure that's part of the story... but *if* one is respecting opacity one has no basis on which to intuit that there is any relation between the resources referenced by http://example.com/widgets/2007/blink-01.zip and by http://example.com/widgets/2007/blink-01.zip/contents/chrome/js/blink.js.

I could see a view that says that the processing defined for an application/wiget representation is such that (at least logically) it prefills a local cache with representations for the resources within the package - each with a URI which corresponds with a the URI from which the representation of the package was obtained concatentated with (possibly a separator and) the package local pathname of the resource.

That's a bit more complicated to tell and probably has some rough edges - but it does 'pivot' on a media-type definition rather than a URI scheme.

> --
> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Curiosity never killed anything except
> http://nwalsh.com/            | maybe a few hours.

Stuart
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England>