Re: Invitation to the TAG to provide feedback on HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:47:47 +0200
To: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, ian@hixie.ch
Cc: connolly@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

On Thu, 22 May 2008 01:10:46 +0200, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
> The following is simply bizarre and should be rationalized
> between now and last call:
>
> <input type=checkbox checked>
>
> vs

The former represents a checkbox control and the latter represents nothing
though it fakes a checkbox control towards assistive technology. As such,
they are quite distinct. My understanding is that we need the latter
because designing your own user interface for the former is currently near
impossible leading authors to reimplement the control using a span or div
element. In order to make that accessible they need a low level
accessibility API to expose the relevant information to assistive
technology.

(It's role="checkbox" by the way, no need for a prefix there.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>