Re: reference needed - w3.org versioned documents

Actually I was just trying to find an example of a URI for a document
for which there was explicit *justification* in using the URI to name
the document.  The question is not so much about any server "giving"
any particular response, as about whether when the URI is used in an
assertion, will anyone will understand what was meant by the URI.
(Server behavior factors into any assessment of this, but is not
definitive, as servers can behave inscrutibly, unpredictably, or
incorrectly.) I think one would be hard pressed to find any
intelligent, diligent person aware of the w3.org URI policy statement
thinking that the dated URI refers to anything other than that
particular document (version). The other URI, however, is open to
many interpretations - maybe it names different things at different
times (maybe you have to know when the use of the URI was written in
order to be able to understand assertions using the URI), or maybe it
names a Fieldingesque "resource" (a time-varying membership-of-
representation-in-something function), or maybe it names some
particular thing whose essential properties can be communicated, or
maybe it names a network endpoint. In any of these interpretations
there is little guidance in knowing *which* thing of whatever variety
is being named. In other words, the URI is not of much use as a name
at the present time.

I'm not arguing for or against any particular meaning for the undated
URI - just observing that (as everyone in this list knows) there is
no consensus. To me the question is not "what does the URI mean" but
"how will the URI help us to communicate among ourselves and why".
Our best hope for being able to use the undated URI as a name would
be a credible statement from w3.org permitting, enabling, and
encouraging us to use it in some particular way, as it has made for
the dated URI.

Jonathan