RE: Joel Spolsky on IE 8 standards mode

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:38:06 -0700
To: "John Cowan" <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

I wonder if there is an interesting architectural conclusion to be drawn
for many software systems.  Proposed Good Practice Note for Language
Design: It is good practice to identify the version of the originating
software ( when there is a high likelihood of interoperability issues |
| the specifications are complicated  the specifications implemented are
> x(50) pages ).

I've seen this issue of needing the exact version come up in
interoperability testing of other complex specs, like the CORBA and Web
Services.  HTTP seems to have gotten by without it, perhaps because
there seems to be well-known subset that is deemed interoperable.

Cheers,
Dave