RE: Uniform access to descriptions

From: Mikael Nilsson <mikael@nilsson.name>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:16:46 +0100
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>

mån 2008-03-24 klockan 12:11 +0000 skrev Booth, David (HP Software -
> > 1. Surely you can't expect hyperlink to lead to the metadata? The WWW
> > (socument web) relies on content-to-content links, and we
> > need to build on that.
> Of course there should be a URI for the metadata!  Why wouldn't there be?
> You seem to me making some kind of major underlying assumptions here
> that I don't know about.  If  the use case could be more completely
> spelled out, that might bring it to light.

The case presupposes the HTML web, where <a href=""> leads to the
content directly, and not to the metadata. It assumes that the link is
discovered from the HTML web (from a google search, for example). The
challenge is finding the metadata when the data URI is known.

> > 2. There is no definition in the text/plain MIME type
> > registration about
> > how to  include machine-parsable metadata. Other conventions, such as
> > using http://example.org/writings/essay#it etc, falls on the
> > assumption that we want to build on top of the existing WWW.
> Right, but if you want to serve machine-processable metadata that
> describes a chunk of text, why not just serve RDF for the metadata and
> either include the chunk of text in an RDF assertion or include a
> pointer to it?   You can certainly point to existing content that way.

*Can*, sure, but that's not how the billions of existing web pages
already indexed and cross-linked are found. The idea is to build on top
of the HTML web, not to invent a new web.

> David Booth, Ph.D.
> HP Software
> +1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
> http://www.hp.com/go/software
> Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose