RE: Uniform access to descriptions

From: Mikael Nilsson <mikael@nilsson.name>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:45:37 +0100
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>

fre 2008-03-21 klockan 14:15 +0000 skrev Booth, David (HP Software -
> The wiki page at
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/FindingResourceDescriptions
> omits two obvious potential solutions:
> 1. Hand out the URI of the metadata (which should *include* a link to
> the data) instead of handing out the URI of the data directly.  It
> seems silly to add a new header to the HTTP protocol just because data
> publishers can't remember to hand out the metadata URI.
> 2. Bundle the data with the metadata, as previously described here:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Feb/0039.html
> Perhaps these solutions wouldn't be good enough for the use cases you
> wish to address, but what exactly *are* the use cases?  The wiki page
> has only a placeholder for them.

Here's a simple one that covers the above cases.

Alice browse the web and finds a link to

It's a text/plain document, and her SW-enabled browser cannot show her
any metadata about the document.

1. Surely you can't expect hyperlink to lead to the metadata? The WWW
(socument web) relies on content-to-content links, and we need to build
on that.

2. There is no definition in the text/plain MIME type registration about
how to  include machine-parsable metadata. Other conventions, such as
using http://example.org/writings/essay#it etc, falls on the assumption
that we want to build on top of the existing WWW.

> David Booth, Ph.D.
> HP Software
> +1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
> http://www.hp.com/go/software
> Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose