Re: Uniform access to descriptions

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:20:54 -0700
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>

On Mar 20, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> A URI manipulation convention such as Alan Ruttenberg's idea from
> last summer [1] would work for Aunt Tillie since it doesn't require
> any header or status code magic. Another solution would be a
> central registry or a set of registries. (I'm not saying these
> ideas aren't without faults.) What would you suggest?

Google.  Or SemanticGoogle, if you prefer.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that anyone other than experts
will ever be interested in managing metadata.  The 303 and Link
solutions are for Semantic Web experts to care about, content
management software to implement, and "online librarians" to
manipulate.  Normal folks who just want a page on the Web do
not need any of this nonsense -- they don't care if links are
ambiguous and never will.  Limiting the solution space to things
that those non-users understand is absurd, for the same reason
that Porsche doesn't design cars to be driven by five year olds.

....Roy