RE: New version of URI Declarations

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 04:55:03 +0000
To: Ed Davies <edavies@nildram.co.uk>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your comment.

> From: Ed Davies [mailto:edavies@nildram.co.uk]
>
> > # Components of a URI declaration
> > If a resource r exists such that p(r) is true, then henceforth
> > u denotes r.
> > If the predicate p is expressed as an RDF graph, then conceptually
> > a URI declaration creates a named graph, where p is the graph and
> > the u becomes its name.
>
> So u denotes the resource which matches p and also u names
> the graph which describes p?  Is that a good thing?

I guess I should reword that slightly.  URI u does not denote the graph, it denotes whatever resource satisfies p.  The association between u and the graph (or p) is just the mechanism by which p is determined.

Okay, I've now changed the wording to:
http://dbooth.org/2007/uri-decl/20080228.htm#precise-def-uri-decl
[[
If the predicate p is expressed as an RDF graph, then a URI declaration is analogous to a named graph, where p is the graph and the u is its name.  However, instead of u denoting p itself; rather, it denotes the resource that satisfies p.
]]

I hope that's clearer.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.