From: Chris Drake [mailto:christopher@pobox.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:46 AM
To: Doyle, Bill
Cc: Dan Connolly; www-tag; public-usable-authentication@w3.org
Subject: Re[6]: delegation and passwordsInTheClear-52

Hi Bill,

As this is the 2nd time you've avoided explaining how - I read this to
mean that you don't know how.  Bill - if you don't know how to do the
redesign - do not support statements you don't understand.  There's a
lot of people selling security in the world - almost everything they
say is not what you think.  If nobody told you "how" - the *reason*
is because it does not work.  If you don't *understand* the "how",
it's probably because fake claims are trying to be supported (assuming
you understand cryptography, and took time to think about the steps).

Most "scenarios" are request-response (eg: HTTP or SMTP etc).  You
cannot trivially engineer password protection over this architecture.
Ask one of your cryptographers to explain "why" to you.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake

Saturday, June 28, 2008, 12:39:26 AM, you wrote:

DB> No wires crossed, every scenario that uses clear text passwords can
DB> have proper IA in place - it may require a redesign of the
application
DB> to incorporate IA.

DB> $38 dollar cert? No excuse generate a self signed cert.

DB> Any application scenario that uses ID / PW in the clear is subject
DB> compromise of both system and user data. How? Simple, just capture
the
DB> data packets, no need to deal with hash tables or any hack tool
readily
DB> available on the web.

DB> Cheers
DB> Bill D.

technologies.

DB> You do not have the luxury of being able to design "both ends".
You
DB> can either code on the serverside, if you develop sites, or code on
DB> the client site, if you develop browsers.

DB> Excluding SSL - it is NOT trivially possible to avoid transmitting
DB> cleartext (or dictionary-attackable equivalent) passwords in "Every
DB> scenario" - nor even in the overwhelming majority of any likely
DB> real-life scenario you can imagine.

DB> I'm objecting strongly to that statement because in its context,
it's
DB> horribly misleading, and is likely to encourage the uninitiated or
DB> amateurs into homebrew "solutions", while none of them probably
grasp
DB> the concepts of rainbow tables, hash weaknesses, dictionaries and
DB> average users, or the subtleties of session key negotiations etc;
all
DB> because someone said it was possible (without explanation I must
point
DB> out!), and someone else is too tight to spend $38 on a SSL cert.

DB> If you still support the statement - please answer my original
DB> question:  pick a likely real scenario that someone reading this
DB> statement might be facing, explain it, then tell us how you would
DB> propose to redesign this to solve the problem.

DB> Kind Regards,
DB> Chris Drake

DB> p.s. - for the record, and since the contrary was insinuated - I'm
DB>        *not* supporting cleartext passwords.

DB> Friday, June 27, 2008, 10:37:14 PM, you wrote:

DB>> Good Morning Chris,

DB>> I am an information security engineer for the Department of
DB> Defense.
DB>> Tasking includes being an Information Assurance (IA) engineer for
DB> Joint
DB>> and Tactical systems and ensuring that application design follows
DB>> Global Information Grid IA guidance.

DB>> I agree with the statement that applications can be redesigned to
DB>> support IA because I believe it to be true, many security tools
are
DB>> available to support different applications requirements. I did
not
DB>> state that supporting IA is as easy as writing a non-secure
DB>> application.

DB>> Regards
DB>> Bill Doyle

transmission
DB>> of
DB>>> passwords without other security mechanisms to enforce
Information