Re: impact of lots more top level domains on the Web?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:55:53 -0400
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> In the abstract, Web architecture is orthogonal to the
> .com/.org/.net hierarchy, but in practice, I wonder
> what the impact of this decision will be...

I think the impact will be that DNS-authority based URIs will become
more opaque to users, as there's more for them to remember than just
the strings "ibm", or "yahoo", or "microsoft" (for which they could
assume ".com").  IMO, the result will likely be that users will rely
more on search engines.

> I suppose that in the long-term, a more flat namespace
> makes sense.

I agree, but AFAICT, this decision moves us away from that.  Wouldn't
the ultimate in flat be to have a single TLD?

Mark.
--
Mark Baker. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. http://www.markbaker.ca
Coactus; Web-inspired integration strategies http://www.coactus.com