Re: [widgets] Widgets URI scheme

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org> wrote:
> Perhaps this is just a problem in the writeup that you allow both cp437 and
> utf8-range?

Yes, it was a mistake on my part. The widget URI scheme will always be
represented as UTF-16 in the DOM (i think) and UTF-8 internally.

For a bit of background, the Zip specification states that a path for
a zip file entry is, by default, interpreted as CP437 unless
explicitly marked as UTF-8. However, it was wrong of me to have
mentioned CP437 for paths as once it is processed by the widget
engine, it will be converted to Unicode.

Irrespective of encoding issues, the premise remains that the HTTP
protocol is not suitable for widgets and hence we need "widgets://"
scheme. We need the TAG to help us explore using HTTP to meet our
requirements for widgets. If together we can either prove HTTP usable
or unsuitable for widgets, then we can either discard or adopt
"widget://". Regardless, we need the TAG's support resolving this
issue sooner than later.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au