RE: Proposal: ARIA-ROLE & CSS definition integration

From: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 01:03:00 -0400
To: "'James Craig'" <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: "'Anne van Kesteren'" <annevk@opera.com>, "'Leif Halvard Silli'" <lhs@malform.no>, <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, <public-html@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, <www-tag@w3.org>

James -

> I think you may have missed the point of my JavaScript example. It was
> just one way you could insert ARIA semantics into the DOM by flagging
> an HTML class or id, or for that matter, by any CSS selector. The
> example was not my recommendation for how it should always be done.

Ah, gotcha, thanks!

> One thing you could do is to help ensure that all of the ARIA
> semantics get rolled into HTML 5.

I fully support this, and I will be looking out for it. I think that ARIA is
too important to be *not* rolled 100% into HTML. First, it eliminates many
of my gripes with HTML as a presentation layer for application development
(HTTP is still wholly inadequate for the task...), by finally (15 years too
late) providing a mechanism for AT systems to "get" HTML. Secondly, it
provides a way to get really darned close to the semantic Web ideal.

Thanks again for your input on this!

J.Ja