RE: XRI vote Aftermath

> From: Schleiff, Marty
> [ . . . ]
> In the coming weeks I hope to document some use cases that demonstrate
> clear utility for XRI beyond that available with already
> registered URI schemes.

Please take a look at "Converting New URI Schemes or URN Sub-Schemes to HTTP"
http://dbooth.org/2006/urn2http/
Though not a formal proof, it represents an informal proof-by-construction that the capabilities of HTTP URIs are virtually a direct superset of those of URIs based on new URI schemes or URN sub-schemes.  The abstract:
[[
New URI schemes or URN sub-schemes are sometimes proposed for resource identification in applications where the HTTP protocol is deemed unsuitable.  This paper argues that URIs based on specialized HTTP URI prefixes would be a better choice in virtually all cases, even if the resource resolution or data transfer properties of HTTP are insufficient for these applications.   A simple recipe is presented for converting proposed URI schemes or URN sub-schemes to HTTP using specialized URI prefixes.  This technique cleanly separates the use of the URI as an identifier (to establish resource identity) from the use of the URI as a locator (to retrieve representations).  The resulting capabilities of the HTTP URIs are virtually a direct superset of those of URIs based on new URI schemes or URN sub-schemes.
]]

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.