[XRI] http: sub-schemes the booth-bradley proposal

From: John Bradley <john.bradley@wingaa.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:39:58 -0700
Cc: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
To: www-tag@w3.org
Hi,

I want to explain part of my thinking on what has become known as the
booth-bradley proposal.

This will at least give people something a bit more concrete to shoot
at.

If we want to create this thing called a http sub-scheme, we want to
do it as far up the authority chain as possible but still within the
http: scheme.

This leads us to examining the utility of using the TLD for this
special purpose.

Consider what we might do if xri. were registered as a special TLD
indicating a sub-scheme.

Syntacticly a sub-scheme is really just an additional set of
constraints placed on a http: scheme URI.
There may be an intersection of this with URI tempting as I think it
was David Orchard pointed out.

The sub-scheme flagged by the TLD would allow for special URI
normalization rules and local processing on the client while being
consistent with the TAGs Meta Data In URI finding http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/metaDataInURI-31.html
.

I think this syntax idea is relatively strait forward as these thing
so.  The devil will be in the details.

What David and I discussed a bit offline and my be less obvious are
the issues around resolution.

I do not imagine this TLD being administered as a regular TLD where
people go and purchase a sub domain like boeing.xri. etc.

I see the TLD acting as a discovery service for http proxies that
understand the protocol in question HXRI for XRI,  Jabber for XMPP etc.

I see the DNS people squirming now:)  I admit this is a bit on the
edge,  however the root registry people I have talked to tell me it is
possible.

I would propose that the DNS server answering queries for xri. be a
proxy.
That it uses XRDS-Simple to find the proxy service endpoint for the
protocol in question, and return that IP address in its DNS response.

An example if I do a dns query for boeing.com.xri. the DNS proxy will
do a XRDS-Simple query to boeing.com and extract from the HXRI proxy
SEP the IP address element and return that via DNS.

Any http: sub-scheme can use this to discover proxy servers for there
sub-scheme.

Yes you can use SRV records or some other thing as the proxy mechanism.

I think XRDS-Simple otherwise known as "XRI 2.0 resolution Section 6"
is a good generic way to discover a proxy's address.
It includes provisions for load balancing etc.
For those of you unfamiliar with the spec it is a https: GET with an
accept header requesting a mime type of application/xrds+xml and
returning a XRDS document.

This is my fist crack at a proposal for managing the TLD.
I am philosophically opposed to forcing a manual registration process
on people, for the http proxy.

Don't shoot at David,  the DNS to XRDS-Simple proxy idea is mine.

Counter proposals welcome.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC