Re: [XRI] IRI thread

Hi Felix,

Unfortunately I am not managing to be any more prompt:)

On 21-Jul-08, at 4:03 AM, Felix Sasaki wrote:

> Hi John (putting Martin Duerst into the loop),
>
> sorry for my late reply, a mixture of holiday and travel is my excuse.
>
> John Bradley さんは書きました:
>> Hi Felix,
>>
>> Thanks for the input.
>> IRI  is related to the xri: scheme discussion.
>> One of the reasons (perhaps not the only reason) people don't want
>> xri: to be a scheme is the concern that the IRI form of XRI will be
>> used for XML namespace declarations.
>>
>> This seems to be a general problem not specific to XRI.
>>
>> There is a community that believes that all XML namespace
>> declarations should be http: URLs  unless there is some super
>> compelling reason to do something else.  I may even fall into that
>> camp myself.
>>
>> I think David Orchard and I agree that if someone wants to use XRI
>> versioning or something else in a XML namespace declaration they
>> MUST use the HXRI form that way it is a just a normal URL from a
>> XML processing perspective.
>> I have put this to members of the XRI-TC and the above is generally
>> uncontroversial.
>> The question becomes how do you stop people from using the xri:
>> scheme.
>>
>> One effective way is to not issue the scheme.    This seems to be
>> the preferred solution by some W3C TAG members.
>>
>> The perhaps unintended byproduct is that without a scheme we can't
>> represent a XRI as a IRI in other places that might be more
>> appropriate like a UI.
>>
>> One thing we could still do is use the IRI form of the HXRI this
>> would be a normal IRI with the http: scheme.
>>
>> This has certain problems in that we have specified NFKC
>> normalization rather than the NFC normalization that http uses for
>> the path.
>
> From my understanding (which is mainly based on discussion with
> Martin) NFKC includes NFC. The main difference is that NFKC is
> getting rid of characters that have a compatibility decomposition,
> see e.g. appendix J of
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/PER-xml-20080205/#sec-suggested-names
> So you could require NFC, add a recommendation like
>
> "Characters which have a compatibility decomposition (those with a
> "compatibility formatting tag" in field 5 of the Unicode Character
> Database -- marked by field 5 beginning with a "<") should not be
> used in names. This suggestion does not apply to #x0E33 THAI
> CHARACTER SARA AM or #x0EB3 LAO CHARACTER AM, which despite their
> compatibility decompositions are in regular use in those scripts."
>
> and be fine.

Yes the main difference between NFKC and NFC is that NFKC has fewer
compatibility characters.

We chose NFKC as our normalization for the XRI IRI scheme given that
this is being used for normalizing user input for authority resolution.

The registration process for a global iName is out of scope for the
XRI spec.

However it is probably useful to describe the process for people as a
reference.

iNames may start with a number of Global Context symbols.
@ and = prefix names registered in the GRS administered by XDI.ORG.
Names can also start with a IP or DNS cross-reference.

If the first XRI authority subsegment is = or @ then the second
subsegment is registered under the following rules.

1. There are three character tables - Latin, Hangul and Combined-
Katakana-Hiragana-Han.
2. Each of the tables contain a subset of ASCII characters permissible
for registration, plus the additional characters for each script
included in the table.
3. An i-name to be registered must contain only characters that are
from a single table. For example, an i-name that contains a Hangul
character and a Katakana character will not be registrable.
4. An i-name must not be visually similar to an existing registered i-
name. This is determined by using data from the Unicode Consortium (http://unicode.org/reports/tr36/
). For example, if an existing i-name called =résumé is already
registered, the global registry will not permit =resume to be
registered.

There will be other character tables added as demand dictates.  I
personally interested in adding Arabic.

For other subsegments NFKC rules apply to name creation.

The real problem occurs when someone enters an iName in a local
character set and it must be normalized as a part of the input
process.  This happens with openIDs,

If we don't use a IRI xri: scheme,  and try to fit everything into the
http: IRI normalization rules for the path segment,  we wind up with
the possibility of failing match rules because of the extra
compatibility characters included in NFC.

I admit that I may be the only person who sees this as a problem.

I want to use my @id*五里霧中 iName as an openID  and I can now at
a number of sites.

I have just added it as a OSIS interop feature test for RPs.

xri://@id*五里霧中  makes it clear that it is an IRI with the
specific normalization rules that apply to the scheme.

http://xri.net/@id*五里霧     may well be interpreted with http
normalization rules.

I can tell you at the moment the only IRIs that work in openID are the
ones using the proposed xri: scheme.

There may be good reasons to not want XRI: scheme IRIs turning up in
XML namespace declarations,  however trying to properly support IRI
was I think a good goal of XRI.

I just hate giving up progress on the IRI front.

Best Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC
http://xri.net/=jbradley