Re: [XRI] TAG recommendation

Thanks David,

Helpful as always,

The XRI-TC is taking members:)

The behavior of the Proxy resolution service is specified in Section
11 of the Resolution spec.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xri-resolution/2.0/specs/cs01/xri-resolution-V2.0-cs-01.html

Sec 11.5 defines the processing of http(s) Accept Headers

Sec 11.7 defines the redirect behavior.  The relevant part for this
discussion being:

> If the value of the Resolution Output Format is null, and the output
> is not an error, a proxy resolver MUST follow the rules for output
> of a URI List as defined in section 8.2.3. However, instead of
> returning a URI list, it MUST return the highest priority URI (the
> first one in the list) as an HTTP(S) 3XX redirect with the Accept
> header content type set to the value of the Service Media Type
> parameter.

The proxy resolver will never return content directly.  It will return
the XRDS metadata if queried with the appropriate parameter.

So in the current XRI 2.0 spec if a browser queries:
1. http://beta.xri.net/=jbradley/?query&_xrd_r=application/xrds+xml
the XRDS document for =!BF81.FD97.C81B.B4E5 is returned.

2. http://beta.xri.net/=jbradley   I receive a 302 redirect to http://ipage2.ezibroker.net/ipage/ipage.faces?iname==jbradley

These are real examples try them in a browser they work with xri.net
as well the difference being that the content type returned by xri.net
for 1 is text/xml to make it display in a browser for debugging.   At
beta.xri.net it returns a content type of application/xrds+xml.

Yes we have always known the content type on a XRDS document should be
application/xrds+xml we are testing that change now on beta.xri.net
the incorrect content type is a holdover from debugging.

This is the current state of things in the current XRI 2.0 spec.

I think Stuart in his post points out that from a URI point of view
these are distinct identifiers.

> "*If* the distinction is made in the URI (eg, the addition of a
> parameter),
> then we have distinct identifiers (URI) one for <something> (above)
> and one
> for the final XRDS document (and maybe others for any intermediate
> XRDS
> documents)."

For clarification the proxy only returns the final XRD or XRDS as
specified by the _xrd_r parameter.  It preforms all the resolution
steps on behalf of the http(s) requester.

Now on to the fine points of redirects,  302 was originally chosen
because it is supported in all browsers.  303 redirects are new to
HTTP 1.1.   Given that HTTP 1.1 is now universally supported changing
to a 303 redirect is one I think I can get pushed through the XRI-TC.

Would the understanding and change put this part of the issue to rest
for people?

I think we are quite close on this.

David thanks again for the help.

Regards