Fwd: [XRI] resources vs meta-data

Hi Stuart,

Just to clear up the definitions.
XRD ==  Extensible Resource Descriptor XML document
XRDS == An XRDS document contains one or more XRD (Extensible Resource
Descriptor) elements
SEP    == Service Endpoint,  They are descriptors of concrete URIs at
which network services are available for the target resource.
Additional XRI resolution parameters as well as the path component of
an XRI may be used as service endpoint selection criteria.

XRI Authorities always resolve to XRDS documents.  Based on query
parameters you can ask for just the final XRD or a particular SEP in
the final XRD.

XRI resolution is about public service discovery for an identifier.
Anyone with that identifier can find XML metadata describing the
Service Endpoints  including concrete URI's.

Other service discovery mechanisms like ID-WSF depend on the
identifier being registered in the federation.

I am currently working with open-liberty to define the process of
using a XRI or URI identifier to resolve a ID-WSF Discovery Service
via a EPR in the XRDS.

Public service discovery via XRDS documents is used in:
1, openID
2, oAuth
3, infocard r-card (higgins)
4, ID-WSF via openID and infocard (experimental proposed to be part of
Liberty SIG WSH)

These are the things I am involved in personally.

I think this is clear and unambiguous.

If you are trying to resolve a XRI via a HXRI proxy,  If the request
contains no query parameters the proxy will provide some defaults,
based on an assumption that the requester has no notion of XRI or
ability to process returned XRDS XML.

Based on the processing rules that the owner of the XRD document sets
they can choose to have the proxy redirect the requester to a concrete
URI resource.

A XRD document can fully configure the behavior of the HXRI proxy.

xri://=jbradley is a identifier that returns an XRDS document to XRI
aware applications,  If I choose I can define a behavior in that
document that if something preforms resolution on that identifier, and
provides no query parameters I can define a redirect behavior based on
the path and accept header.

Providing perfect backwards compatibility is hard.   I think we have
done a darn good job with the HXRI proxy.

If you are using HXRI in a RDF document you can encode the accept
header and other parameters in the HXRI so you can be precise about
what you are referring to.

XRI has been defined for use with XDI-RDF.  I would say that the
additional specificity provided by the HXRI encoding makes RDF more
useful.
Using a HXRI it is clear what you are referring to,  it provides
useful constraints and documentation for interoperability.
Thats why we think it would be good to have it as an OASIS spec.

I think we are open to changes to the HXRI proxy resolvers default
behavior if it doesn't involve reducing functionality.

I am interested in finding out if people believe the default behavior
of the HXRI proxy should be  something different.

Now is the time to get your opinions registered.

I have been at this all day, so don't expect more until tomorrow:)

Have a good weekend.
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC
http://xri.net/=jbradley