RE: Boeing XRI Use Cases

> From: John Bradley [mailto:john.bradley@wingaa.com]
> [ . . . ]
> An idea I have kicked around with a number of people that may
> fit David's model is to use a domain or TLD as the "clear
> chain of authority" root.
>
> The difference being that all identifiers under that DNS root
> would be interpreted as the appropriate sub scheme.
>
> As an example the domain name boeing.com.xri.net would be
> interpreted as an XRI by the client software.  DNS would be
> configured to return the ip address of Boeing's HXRI proxy server.
>
> I could use
> http://plaxo.com.xri.net/(http://boeing.com)*jbradley if that
> was the proxy that was optimal for me,  a client application
> could also recognize it as being a synonym for
> http://boeing.com.xri.net/(http://boeing.com)*jbradley

Cute!  That is semantically similar to what I had suggested, but would better exploit DNS.  That looks like a good approach:

 - it retains a clear chain of authority for determining how the URI should be interpreted;

 - its XRI semantics would be recognizable by XRI-aware clients; and

 - it is still usable by clients that are not XRI-aware.

My concerns would be fully addressed if the XRI TC dropped the xri: scheme and adopted this form as the canonical serialization for XRIs.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Statements made herein represent the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of HP unless explicitly so stated.