Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

Thanks for the input Paul,

The XRI-TC was under the impression that IRI/URI scheme was intended
to be the in-URI trigger that a URI is not just a simple http: URI.

If the consensus opinion of the TAG is that we should not use a scheme
for this then we do need an alternate general purpose naming extension
mechanism for http:.

I would submit that it is not the proper role of the XRI-TC to inflict
such a thing upon the http: scheme.

A number of the suggestions from this thread put forth different ideas
for doing something special within the http: scheme for XRI.

I will point out that XRI and HXRI is being used now as specified by
the XRI 2.0 committee spec.

The longer we delay in documenting changes the grater the pain for
users down the road.

I think having a general mechanism for this within the http: scheme
that would be preferable, though the XRI-TC can not reasonably wait an
indeterminate amount of time while this is sorted out by the TAG or
others.

At this point I see the leading idea as.

1. Keep the xri: scheme but prohibit its use in the IRI form, and
direct XML authors to use http: URIs for naming.  There is no good
reason to use xri: scheme URI's for namespaces.  (read ditch IRI for
XRI)
2. Keep the current form of HXRI using the proxy resolver at xri.net
or any other local proxy people choose to put up.  (no special DNS
naming convention)

Thats where I am at the moment looking at the feedback.

I am not emotionally attached to the xri: scheme as long as an
appropriate mutually agreeable naming extension method can be found
for the http: scheme.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-MS