Opacity (was RE: Boeing XRI Use Cases)

Hello John,

> My question around WEBDAV was not really directed at XML but rather the
processing by
> WEBDAV aware clients of webdav URLs in the http: scheme?
>
> WEBDAV extended the operators beyond GET and POST, and had a extended web
server that
> dealt with information encoded in the path.

Having had a hand in the metadataInURI-31 finding [1] it started trying to
unpick the the simple mantra that... "URI are
'opaque" because it's not that simple.

I think of it in terms of three pieces:
- Web infrastructure (which is made of things like generic
client-side/server-side libraries eg. libwww and proxys);
- clients (specifically the pieces of a client that 'above' generic
libraries or their moral equivalent);
- origin servers (which you might also regards as infrastructure);

One idea wrt to opacity is that when defining a web language or format that
has a URI shaped slot in it, that slot should be capable of taking any kind
of URI. To do otherwise restricts the potential utility of that format.

I see the client-side libraries, or their moral equivalent, as part of the
web infrastructure - they clearly have to be able to parse a URI into its
component parts. The URI scheme is, in most cases, a major determininant of
how an access is performed using that URI (in some cases it would simply be
passed off to a proxy regardless). The fragment portion is alos separated
from what goes on the wire... basic point is that there is a level of
generic processing here that parses a URI into its major components.

In that sense, some might argue that opacity gets broken... however, the
finding [1] was is more forgiving. You're 'allowed' to parse things in
accordance with the relevant specs: Generic URI-> Scheme and other URI
components; Scheme -> scheme specific specs etc. It also leaves space for an
authority to state the rules of the substructure of some URI space delegated
to them: eg. documentation of query parameters (for humans or machines (in
the form of forms)) and at least in principle URI path substructure. At the
time, there really was no way other than narrative for a delegated authority
to do the latter, more recently URI Templates and perhaps restful WSDL/API
documentation seem to be filling some of the gap - at least in terms of
writing down the patterns. That said, there is also a note of warning about
the stability of such patterns over time. Sites do get re-arranged, web
api's change.Deeply programming knowledge of URI structure in into backed
client code (as opposed to contemporaneously loaded client side scripts) is
a fragile thing to do.

As for origin servers, their own URI (ie. the ones which they serve) are not
opaque to them at all.

Basically, where I think that we tried to leave it was: 1) machines
(clients) shouldn't guess, they can pick their way through
specifications/stds; authorities may have ways to tell you the same of the
URI space they administer with varying commitments to the stability of that
info - use with care (if you must); 2) humans can guess, that eg.
http://uk.weather.com/weather/today-Bristol-UKXX0025 has something to say
about today's weather forecast in the vicinity of Bristol, UK - but be
prepared for ocassional surprises.

IIRC the WebDav versioning spec. (when I read it sometime ago) is completely
not prescriptive about the organisation of URI space on a WebDav server -
the relevant spec. leaves it completely open to the server how it organises,
say, successive versions of a document in URI space - though (IIRC) it does
require the use of a distinct method (PROFIND) to get started.

Regards

Stuart Williams
[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/metaDataInURI-31
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12
1HN