Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

Hi Mark,

I forgot that you aren't on the TAG yourself.  So you are correct my
questions were mostly directed at them.

We do honestly believe that the syntax and resolution of XRI have
unique and valuable properties not easily achieved by the conventional
use of http: URLs.

We also have no interest in fragmenting the information space.  Our
goal is to open up more information to the web.

We can solve our problems using http: URLs via HXRI encoding of XRI's
and proxy servers.
In this case a proxy server is really just another web app that
processes input and returns the appropriate XRDS, or other document.

Applications like XDI that make use of XRI syntax to retrieve  fine
grained structured data via field level access control can use either
XRI-Normal form or HXRI internally as is appropriate.

Currently XRI-Normal form is the only way to use UTF-8 in openID.
I am pushing for http: scheme IRI to become part of the next openID
spec,  but that will take time.

I think we could justify a xri: scheme,  but I am not interested in
investing years in a debate.  In the end users will find XRI in
whatever form useful or not.  It will become part of the established
infrastructure or disappear with gopher and other less useful things.

The goal of the XRI 2.0 spec is to document how people who want to use
XRI can interoperate and guarantee Royalty Free use.   No one will be
forced to use it because the spec exists.  Those of us who have a need
for it will be free to do so based on a documented spec.

The XRI-TC is willing to accommodate concerns and incorporate feedback.

We however cannot do mutually exclusive things simultaneously.

We have defined HXRI and the XRI scheme in XRI 2.0.

If we have to give up one of them I would choose to give up the xri:
scheme.

I believe that HXRI is the more useful of the two.  Though I wish we
could keep both.

HXRI will need some tweaking as a result but that is not the end of
the world.

I would like to resolve this one way or the other as quickly as
possible so that we can all move on with more productive work.

Do you have a proposal on how we would proceed if we were to attempt
to get xri: as a scheme.

If there is some sort of action plan we could develop for taking that
path it would be worth throwing into the mix.

Always good to hear from a fellow Canuck.

Best Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC
=jbradley