Re: Comments on "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web"

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:57:41 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
I took an action to review how the Cool URIs document had been
changed in resonse to the comments I sent on behalf of the TAG.
I assert that this message discharges that action.

I find only three comments that appear not to have been accepted or

/ Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> was heard to say:
| First para of Section 3:
|   "On the Semantic Web" suggests that the end state is two
|   separate webs; in fact, the end state is a single web with
|   a wider range of capabilities. Consider rephrasing:
|     "With the advent of semantic web technologies, the web
|     is extended so that (http:?) URIs can identify not just
|     web documents but also ...

Personally, I'm satisfied that the SWEO considered the suggestion even
if they ultimately decided not to adopt it.

| Figure 1:
|   Please replace the diagram with the diagram in
|   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Sep/0061.html
|   Note that the shapes in the diagram distinguish between
|   URIs and resources.

I don't think the diagram we proposed has been adopted. I'm not sure
any of the diagram changes we suggested were adopted.

| Also:
|   The recommendation to "err on the side of caution" is not
|   well motivated; for example, we think many relational
|   tables are "information resources" but people would not
|   consider them "Web documents", and so this recommendation
|   would result in unnecesary redirections. We suggest that
|   you add motivation for the recommendation or soften it.

I think the "err on the side of caution" text is the same.

Near the end of the current working draft, the editors identify a few
unresolved issues and "@@" references appear in several places.

I'd be happy to take an action to review the entire document again
when more of these issues have been resolved.

                                        Be seeing you,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Everything should be made as simple as
http://nwalsh.com/            | possible, but no simpler.