Re: On the context sensitivity of the QName Schema Datatype

fre 2008-02-15 klockan 17:00 -0600 skrev Dan Connolly:

> > For some datatypes, notably QName and NOTATION, the mapping from lexical
> > representations to values is context-dependent..."
> >
> > So, while you (or maybe I) might prefer that the design were different, I
> > don't think it's fair to imply that the Recommendation is contradictory.
> > It makes quite clear that context-dependent lexical mappings are allowed.
>
> clear as mud, to me. "a function on the
>   ·lexical space· onto the ·value space·" admits no context sensitivity.

I fully agree with Dan here - the definition is inconsistent with the
mathematical notion of function.

The text would be greatly helped by making the implicit assumption of a
context explicit. That's particularly true as that assumption (as Pat
said) may fail in other situations, notably RDF.

/Mikael

--
<mikael@nilsson.name>

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose