Re: [Investigate expected results to http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/http/content-type/sniffing/ tests in collaboration with the IETF HTTP WG (ACTION-44)]

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:24:29 +0100
To: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
CC: www-tag@w3.org

T.V Raman wrote:
> This is a very good summary.
> My own preference would be to move toward a world where content
> sniffing is discouraged, rather than to evovle to one where all
> bad behavior from the past is codified into future law.

FYI - two updates to the original summary:

 > 3) "illegal characters"
 > Some test cases, such as 16, claim the contents contains "invalid
text/plain characters". At least case 16 doesn't.

UPDATE: as explained in
this is based on a requirement made in RFC2046

 > 6) conflict with Webarch and TAG finding
 > The current text in HTML5 contradicts WebArch
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#error-handling>) and the TAG finding
"mime respect", in particular "avoid silent recovery"
 > There seems to be broad agreement that it's good to document what
widely deployed user agents actually do with respect to content
sniffing. However, there was *no* agreement that it's HTML5's task to
make that a "MUST" level requirement

UPDATE: in the meantime, the latest editor's draft
(<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/> makes content type sniffing optional
in at least one case.

BR, Julian