RE: [httpRedirections-57] Resource-Decription Header: a possible proposal to consider.

From: Ian Davis <lists@iandavis.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:49:04 +0000
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
Cc: "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 21:58 +0000, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
wrote:
> Okay, if you want fewer round trips, then the following technique could be used instead.   Publish the URI http://example/doc#ir to denote your desired awww:InformationResource.  When an app attempts to follow its nose to learn what resource that URI denotes, it will dereference the racine http://example/doc , whereupon you can serve RDF saying something like this (in n3):
>
>   <http://example/doc#ir> hasResourceDescriptionAt "http://example/doc/metadata" .
>   <http://example/doc#ir> hasBits "... [bits go here] ..." .
>
> which of course would be nearly equivalent to returning a Resource-Description HTTP header, and it would be just as easy to check conformance.

How would this support content negotiation on the Information Resource?
Or content encoding, ranges or caching? I suppose you could write some
RDF to support them but aren't you just going to end up reimplementing
HTTP in RDF which is then to be transmitted over HTTP!

Ian