Re: [httpRange-14] What is an Information Resource?

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:41:35 +0000
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
CC: Ian Davis <lists@iandavis.com>, Ed Davies <edavies@nildram.co.uk>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
>> From: Ian Davis
>>
>> Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
>>
>>> Could it return a 200 OK response?   If not, it is not an
>>> "information resource".
>>>
>>> Definitions based on notions of "essence" and "information
>>> content" cause more confusion than clarity.
>>>
>> Well it _could_, but I might configure my server to make any resource
>> return 200. . . .
>>

> No, you cannot.  You can configure your server to return 200 OK for any http *URI* that you own, but not from any *resource*.  Only awww:InformationResources can have awww:Representations (i.e., can return 200 OK), and a dog is not an awww:InformationResource, so it cannot return a awww:Representation.
>
> Thus, even if you *intended* to mint a URI http://ian.example/dog to denote a dog, but your server is configured to return a 200 OK response when that URI is dereferenced, then by the httpRange-14 decision
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html
> the URI denotes an awww:InformationResource, regardless of your intent.
I think it is *your intent* to make
"http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html" an
Information Resource.  If it is not so, tell me how it is different from
a dog?  If I intend to make it a non-information resource, how can you
convince me that I should not without telling me at the first place what
an IR is.

Then, on which ground you say that
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html is an IR
"regardless of your intent"?