RE: [httpRange-14] What is an Information Resource?

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 14:40 +0000, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
wrote:
> > From: Ian Davis
> >
> > Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
> > > Could it return a 200 OK response?   If not, it is not an
> > > "information resource".
> > >
> > > Definitions based on notions of "essence" and "information
> > > content" cause more confusion than clarity.
> >
> > Well it _could_, but I might configure my server to make any resource
> > return 200. . . .
>
> No, you cannot.  You can configure your server to return 200 OK for any http *URI* that you own, but not from any *resource*.  Only awww:InformationResources can have awww:Representations (i.e., can return 200 OK), and a dog is not an awww:InformationResource, so it cannot return a awww:Representation.

OK, I'm not going to be a pedant and say that resources don't respond
with HTTP response codes, servers do.

I think you missed my point though. I can configure my server to return
200 OK for any URI it controls so your original statement doesn't help
me (in the guise of an everyday web site operator, not a semweb hacker)
decide whether that conflicts with webarch.

To follow on from your dog example, the missing information I need is
the assertion that:

ex:Dog owl:disjointWith awww:InformationResource .

it's intuitive that if ex:Dog is the class of real-world dogs then the
above is true, but it's less clear that

ex:RdfGraph owl:disjointWith awww:InformationResource .

or

ex:XmlNamespace owl:disjointWith awww:InformationResource .

And the everyday website operator needs to know those kinds of things to
configure their web server. How do we help them?

Ian