Re: ZIP-based packages and URI references into them ODF proposal

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:13:50 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> HTML5 does not provide for a way for groups other than the working group
> to invent new elements, yes. Historically, such attempts have proved
> hard-pressed to come up with any good example of an extension in the
> element space that was benficial to the Web and wasn't developed by a
> working group.

Note that HTML4 didn't allow that either, but the extensions happened
anyway.

The interesting issue to me is not *who* is making extensions (that's a
separate issue), but how hard it is do so. If any change requires
changing core parts of HTML5 (and with it implementations of parsers and
serializers), that's something I personally would consider a major failure.

BR, Julian