Re: ZIP-based packages and URI references into them ODF proposal

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Similarly, if we were to extend XML's xml:preserve attribute to have a
> third value, we couldn't do so without checking how all the different XML
> processors would handle the new value, because XML doesn't define how to
> handle unknown values. Indeed it also doesn't define in useful detail how
> UAs are to handle the two values it _does_ introduce, and the result has
> been that everyone has come up with different meanings for those attribute
> values, and some of the interpretations can conflict (e.g. SVG's
> requirements for processing xml:space differ from the requirements of some
> proprietary languages, and thus the two can't be combined).

I assume you meant xml:space. In any case, XML doesn't define anything
about how a UA is to handle XML. That's not an accident. XML is used way
beyond the realm of things that can be recognized as user agents.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA