Re: ZIP-based packages and URI references into them ODF proposal

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:45:58 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Similarly, if we were to extend XML's xml:preserve attribute to have a
> third value, we couldn't do so without checking how all the different XML
> processors would handle the new value, because XML doesn't define how to
> handle unknown values. Indeed it also doesn't define in useful detail how
> UAs are to handle the two values it _does_ introduce, and the result has
> been that everyone has come up with different meanings for those attribute
> values, and some of the interpretations can conflict (e.g. SVG's
> requirements for processing xml:space differ from the requirements of some
> proprietary languages, and thus the two can't be combined).

I assume you meant xml:space. In any case, XML doesn't define anything
about how a UA is to handle XML. That's not an accident. XML is used way
beyond the realm of things that can be recognized as user agents.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA