Re: ZIP-based packages and URI references into them ODF proposal

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:41:30 +0000 (UTC)
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > Of course it makes sense for a specification to state how
> > > extensibility works.
> >
> > Stating what the extensibility mechanisms of a language are, and
> > stating the future actions of as yet non-existent working groups, are
> > two very different things.
>
> Yes. So what?

You asked for the latter. The spec already has the former.

> If this WG (the HTML WG as of 2008) defines the syntax for future
> elements to be non-void, and code implements that behavior, I'd be
> surprised if a future WG would reverse that decision.

I've been involved in W3C working groups long enough to not at all be
surprised by working groups reversing decisions.

> That's a very verbose way to state "must ignore unknown values".

It's a precise way of saying it, that leaves nothing ambiguous. That's the
whole point.

> So, if XML 1.0 *did* say that, how would you then introduce a new value?
> Older recipients would ignore it, after all.

If older recipients ignore the value, then we're golden. Just introduce
the new value, and then you have predictable down-level behavior and
predictable up-level behavior.