Re: newbie question about sparql and 200

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 22:08 -0400, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> [trimming the leading section to focus on your response]
>
> On Aug 14, 2008, at 6:47 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
> >
> > Well, yes, it's fine for different representations to be
> > returned, but combined with the "from URI identifies
> > the graph", it leads to conclusions. Consider:
> >
> >  select ?P from <http://nytimes.example/stocks> {
> >      _:someStock nyse:sym "XOM"; nyse:price ?P }
> >
> > Two parties run the query. When p1 sends
> > the query to a SPARQL endpoint, which turns
> > around a does a GET where the response is
> >
> >   200
> >   Date: ... 14:00
> >
> >   <#xom> nyse:sym "XOM"; nyse:price 10.
> >
> > If the SPARQL spec said that the from URI identifies the
> > graph represented in the response, we would have
> >   <http://nytimes.example/stocks>
> >    owl:sameAs
> >   { <#xom> nyse:sym "XOM"; nyse:price 10. }.
>
> Whoa. You've just jumped from saying that the response to the query
> against the graph, when parsed, gives you the graph itself.

???

I never mentioned the response to the SPARQL query.

The from URI is (typically) used to get data to query against.
That's all I'm talking about.

I substituted <http://nytimes.example/stocks> for
<http://example.com/graph1> to make the scenario a bit
more concrete, but otherwise, I'm just exploring
the question that was originally asked.

Are you familiar with whatever prompted Jonathan to
ask the question? I'd sure like to know more about
the context of the question.

>  Even if
> you said "select * from <http://nytimes.example/stocks>  where {?s ?
> p ?o}" why would you expect this to be the case?
>
> -Alan
>
> [and trimming what followed]

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E