Re: newbie question about sparql and 200

On Aug 14, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 13:09 -0400, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> [...]
>> Why is the note necessary? In fact it seems backwards:

>> That is, the IRI identifies the graph, and the representation is a
>> serialization of that graph. How is it different than asking for any
>> document, and getting back either html, or rtf, or whatever?
>
> Graphs are like integers or strings; they don't have state.
> Documents, in the sense of "the front page of the new york times"
> do have state; i.e. they change over time.

Not all documents have state.

> To say that <http://example.com/graph1> identifies a graph
> leads to a contradiction when two different GET requests
> return different graphs/representations.

How could this happen if they can't change? (as you posit above)
BTW, it's fine for two different representations to be returned  -
doesn't mean the graph(= underlying resource) changed.

> p.s. I hope that helps a little, but I really prefer to let specs
> speak for themselves.

My preference as well. Would be fine if the specs spoke clearly.