Re: Namespaces and XML/XHTML

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:17:53 +0200, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
wrote:
> Henri Sivonen writes:
>>> Exactly -- having aria-role and aria:role as aliases is bad design.
>> Having only aria-foo and not having aria:foo solves the problem.
>
> That proposal is not, as far as I know, on the table -- I would
> certainly argue against it as fundamentally breaking XML design
> principles.

Why? We decide to extend some set of languages with a set of attributes
that are shared accross those languages. These are attributes that work
well in HTML and XML, can be used for styling in an identical way in both.
Can be manipulated through the DOM in an identical way in both and don't
clash with any of the languages we want to use them in.

Your proposal on the other hand gives different attributes for HTML and
XML. (In HTML you get "aria:x" not in a namespace and in XML you get "x"
in the ARIA namespace.) Styling does not work in an identical way. In HTML
you need to use [aria\:x] and in XML you need to bring in @namespace
complexity. So you need to write more complex style sheets. The DOM also
does not work in an identical way as you need to use setAttributeNS /
getAttributeNS rather than setAttribute / getAttribute. Finally, the
syntax is also not identical because in XML you would be required to have
an xmlns declaration in scope.

That you can't see that your proposal is far worse for everyone involved
is just beyond me.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>