Re: Uniform access to descriptions

Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
> Let's me ask you this.  Is this
> http://dfdf.inesc-id.pt/tr/doc/web-arch/img/fig2 an IR?
>
> Yes or no?

Yes.

> Now, I tell you, there are a few content-types behind that URI.
> text/html, image/jpg, text/plain, ...

No problem, that is consistent with it being an IR.

> Tell me what kind of statement you want to make on
> http://dfdf.inesc-id.pt/tr/doc/web-arch/img/fig2 *easily*?

That it is identified by <http://dfdf.inesc-id.pt/tr/doc/web-arch/img/fig2>.

That it is an IR.

Other statements I may make about it (such as that it is a diagram)
will be aided by having these two as a given.

> Can you tell me what is the, let's say 10th byte, of
> http://dfdf.inesc-id.pt/tr/doc/web-arch/img/fig2?

It does not have a tenth byte.

> I want to tell you is this.  If you want to do what you said *easily*
> describe a webpage, whatever it is.  The necessary condition is that URI
> has one and only one mime-type and whatever is on your browser is a
> byte-to-byte copy of that page.

No, that is not a necessary condition.

Michaeljohn