Re: Uniform access to descriptions

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:54:11 +0200
To: wangxiao@musc.edu
CC: "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "Michael K. Bergman" <mike@mkbergman.com>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>

Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>> Not really. The site owner (who may be != Joe) could configure the
>> server to return a Link header, without having to touch the resource
>> itself.
> Julian, think more.  If there is no new information, what would the site
> owner configures it for?  If there is new information, configure Conneg
> (Accept) takes the same effort to configure LINK.

Well, I gave an example (associating a CSS stylesheet with legacy HTML).

> Neither Conneg nor LINK touched the original resource.

Again, how would you want to do that through content negotiation?

I'm not saying that the Link header is the right solution to every
problem. But that doesn't mean it's useless. Can we agree on that?

BR, Julian