Re: Uniform access to descriptions

Xiaoshu,

On 2008-04 -12, at 05:37, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
> I think TAG's httpRange-14 is the following logic.
>
> Representation=Resource if HTTP=200.

The relation ship is not equality.   It is 'representation'.  The
resource is an abstract document.
The thing returned, with a 200 response, is a tag:representation of
the document,

Loosely, It is a representation using some form of languages and
encoding of the meaning of the document.   Some languages may be
better at giving ht meaning than others.  Also some languages can be
more easily assimilated by  a program than others.  But the
architecture of the web relies on the fact that if I find out some
information from a document with URI x, then I can quote x to someone
else and expect them to be able to get the same information.  Even if
they are using different hardware and software and have a different
screen size, and so on.   They might get degraded information through
conneg: for example, if they can only get RDF and there is information
on the HTML version which isn't encoded in the RDF version, then there
is loss, and the server should only do conneg if really the publisher
is quite happy with someone getting either conneged representation back.

Conneg MUST NEVER be used to select between quite different documents,
or between a document and another document about the first document.

That is the intent of the relation 'representation', as in 'the HTTP
200 response is a representation of the document'.

('document' is called 'InformationResource' in the AWWW)