RE: Uniform access to descriptions

Xiaoshu

Well... from the TAG's point of view the issue, specifically httpRange-14 is resolved and has *not* been reopened. Much of it's history is captured in our current and former issues list [1,2].

Wrt to that resolution... a 303 response means *nothing*... if you happen to follow the redirection and find something useful about the thing you originally inquired of, that you trust and are prepared to stick in your reasoning engine, then you win - if not, of itself, the redirection has told you nothing/means nothing.

200 tells you that the response convey as representation of the (state of?) referenced thing.

At present I do not hear TAG members asking that that the issue be reopened (and it would take a majority vote of the TAG to do so).

In addition the TAG has recently invested considerable time commenting and helping SWEO conclude its "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web" [3] Note which is specifically intended to provide practical guidance to people minting/deloy URIs for use on the Semantic Web in adherance with the TAG's resolution on httpRange-14.

httpRedirections-57 [4] is a different issue. from [5]:

"At their meeting in 16th July 2007 [1] the TAG resolved to create a new issue, HttpRedirections-57 as a response to a community request [2] that we give further consideration to the use of the HTTP 303 status codes *and* other possible mechanisms of obtaining a description of a resource (typically a non-information resource) where the referenced resource is not capable of providing representations of itself."

It is largely motivated because of practical difficulties encountered by some in implementing the TAGs 303 advice and seeking equivalent mechanisms to the same end.

> The issue is *very serious* so is its long term consequence.

Proof by assertion is not going to work.

Please state as briefly as you can what those consequences are and why they follow for the TAGs httpRange-14 resolution - one or two short paragraphs. Or better still provide a reference to a pre-existing compact description that you feel we have failed to consider.

Then please be patient and who anyone else is in agreement. More particularly, see if you obtain agreement from a current TAG participant... in which case they may ask that httpRange-14 be revisited.

> If you need a solution for your particular domain, such as POWDER, do it
> in whatever way you think is necessary, such as an HTTP POWER header,
> but just DO NOT make it a formal recommendation for HTTP,
> such as LINK.
>
> Xiaoshu
>
> Xiaoshu

Thank you,

Stuart Williams
co-chair, W3C TAG.
--
[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues#httpRange-14
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/14

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England