Re: Which URI should be persistent when redirects are used?

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:04:36 +0100
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
CC: Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>, W3C-TAG <www-tag@w3.org>, semantic-web-ig list <semantic-web-ig.list@reuters.com>

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> <snip>
>
> On the semantic web, we want our agents to be able to know what things
> mean. At the moment, the meaning of http://example.com/depict/alan,
> "representation", "resources", and "identifies" are unclear to me.
This is what I understand.

A URI is a string that relates to a thing/resource in the web, let's
call this relationship "identifies".

If this thing/resource can return a REST:representation (i.e., a bunch
of bits + some meta tags), then let's call it information resource
(IR).  (In my opinion, the criteria for defining what is an IR and what
is not is subjective. It is up to the resource owner to decide.)

An IR, therefore, is the union of all representations in all possible
mime-type.  Of course, you can have an IR that has only a few mime-type
representation. But unless the owner explicitly assert that, an agent
cannot assume it by repeated tries.

Xiaoshu