Re: Which URI should be persistent when redirects are used?

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 14:00 +0100, Misha Wolf wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Which URI should be persistent when redirects are used?  The one
> submitted in the initial HTTP request (having been derived, eg,
> from an XML instance document), the one obtained through the
> redirect, or both?

Well, the more persistent URIs the better, so both.

The question isn't very clear.

There are distinct HTTP redirection codes for "don't use
this URI any more; use that other one from now on" (301)
and "keep using this URI, but for now, look over there
for what you're after" (302).

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.3

So if you're trying to be good about persistent URIs,
but the world changes and you have to react, putting
up a 301 for 18 months or so seems like a reasonable
strategy.

Mark Baker and I proposed 3 years, actually, when
we wrote up something related...
http://www.markbaker.ca/2002/09/draft-connolly-w3c-accessible-registries-00.txt