RE: News report: Vodafone transcoding proxy strips user agent strings

Hello Noah,

Just for information, the Mobile Web Initiative Best Practices Working
Group, which Dan Appelquist co-chairs with Jo Rabin, has established a
Content Transformation Task Force, which I chair, that is looking at the
difficulties that arise when transforming proxies, server-side adaptation
and highly capable mobile browsers have to co-exist in the same network.
We are currently engaged in finalising our problem statement and have
started work on a guidelines document. The general feeling of the group is
that judicious application of existing HTTP features can probably provide
resolution to the kinds of issue raised in the article you cite.

I would characterise the overall challenge as being to ensure that
mechanisms that transform existing Web sites for use on mobile devices can
sit comfortably alongside sites that natively provide an optimised mobile
experience.

We are hoping to have a public working draft of the guidelines document
prepared in time for the BP F2F meeting in Boston during the TP/AC week.

Best wishes
Rhys