Re: Some TAG review of "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web"

Pat,

On 25 Sep 2007, at 01:05, Pat Hayes wrote:
> We already have a name for the only category we need: they are HTTP
> endpoints.
>
> OK, I won't push the ambiguity point for the people/web-pages case
> any more. So as for people, we can reasonably assert that people
> aren't this kind of thing: a person can't be an http endpoint, so
> if you get a 200 code back then the URI doesn't denote a person.

Yuck. That's not coherent at all. Let's say I send an HTTP GET to
some URI, and the response is 404. Clearly, I have connected to
something, that thing has received my HTTP request, and generated an
HTTP response. I'd say that's good evidence for the existence of an
HTTP endpoint associated with that URI, even though the URI might not
actually identify any resource.

Same for 303. If I mint a URI and intend it to identify a person,
then of course I can set up an HTTP endpoint for that URI and make it
dispense 303 redirects.

The one thing I can't make it do, according to httpRange-14, is
dispense representations at that URI.

A more fruitful endeavour might be to shed some light on the
relationship between a resource and its representation(s). Why can
certain resources have representations, and others not? Who gets to
associate representations with a resource?

Best,
Richard