Re: The meaning of "representation"

Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> Now, we're seeing a spectrum of views on what a "representation" in HTTP
> sense might be.
>
> >From Xiaoshu's "I think there is no inherent
> relationship between a representation and resource, let along
> isomorphic."
>
> ... to Pat's "But yes, I'm assuming that webarch:representation is
> something like taking an imprint from a platen. It has to in some
> sense be a 'faithful' representation of 'all' of the resource."
>
> Both of the above cannot be true, and allowing both interpretation hurts
> web architecture. The HTTP spec provides no real guidance.
>
> I propose that the TAG provides the community with a single, consistent
> view on this issue: "What is the relationship between a
> http:representation and a webarch:resource"?

Yes, I sincerely wish TAG would do this.  In addition I think TAG should
also, as Pat proposed before, make an attempt to clarify the meaning of
a few key words, such as "identify, denote, resource, thing,
representation" etc.,

I am trying to put down my thought on the subject, once I did, I will
post the URI as a source of argument.

Regards,

Xiaoshu