FW: Resources and representations (was RE: Subgroup to handle semantics of HTTP etc?)

[Oops, I hit send prematurely a moment ago.]

> From: Pat Hayes [mailto:phayes@ihmc.us]
> [ . . . ]
> Does the HTML spec mention denotation?

Yes, but not using that word.  :)  The HTML 4.01 spec uses the term "refer to":
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/intro.html#h-2.1.2
and the text/html media type spec RFC 2854 uses the term "designates":
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2854.txt
and URI spec RFC 3986 uses the term "identfied":
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt
as does most of the WebArch document:
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#id-resources

In these contexts I think all of these terms are intended to mean the same thing, which is the idea that a URI is associated with a resource:
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#uri-assignment

I currently prefer the term "denote", but pick one of the others if you prefer.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.